When should you look for a nursing job? And is there a best time? The short answer is no. The long answer is, yes, but it may not be what you think.
Nursing is an excellent career choice as the occupation remains highly in demand. For instance, the job growth for registered nurses is expected to increase 16 percent through 2024, according to the United States Department of Labor. That’s much faster than other career fields.
Finding a Nursing Job
What does this mean for nursing job seekers? While nursing skills are sought-after, the profession does not have a hiring season that’s simple to track. Hospitals and healthcare institutions’ yearly budgets for nursing staff vary from organizations to regions. The best bet for job seekers is to think ahead, prepare, and remain persistent. It can take anywhere from six to 12 months in order to secure choice positions, so it’s advisable for current nursing students and recent graduates to plan accordingly.
Thankfully, the American Nurses Association offers information that will help you land an offer. Check out these top five nurse job hunting tips.
- Focus on a Goal. Knowing what you want, and what you want to do, will help you to focus and narrow down your search. With clear goals in mind, you’ll have a leg up against the competition.
- Revamp Your Resume and Cover Letter. Your resume and cover letter, along with your sparkling personality, are your sales tools for making the best impression. Make sure they are customized for each position you seek, so you can stand out and shine.
- Know the Right Keywords. When you search online, it’s important to know the terms and keywords that match your ideal job, so you can find the opportunities for which you are looking.
- Network. The best way for getting in the door is to know the right person behind it. Network your way into your next position by joining online nursing forums, professional associations, and getting in touch with other nurses.
- Never Surrender. While the job hunt can be daunting in today’s competitive market, remember to stay positive and patient. Good luck!
Fortis is one of the nation’s largest nursing education providers. Explore the degree choices in practical nursing or registered nursing available to you at select Fortis College campuses. Start your nursing career with a specialized nursing program today.